Facebook SDK

Friday, September 28, 2012

Google Ads are back

Thanks to the kind folks at Techdirt, my plight was heard by the bots at Google and my Adsense account was reinstated.

Five hours after the Techdirt article was posted, I received an email from Google stating they had re-reviewed my case and determined that I am not violating their copyright policies and therefore could have Google ads posted on my blog.

I will be posting a link direct to my torrent file, but not to TPB or other torrent sites. I don't want to go through this problem again (though it would be funny to see what would happen if it did).

One good thing about this is that it has helped raise awareness of the problems with corporate copyright policies and copyright regulation as a whole. When a person is unable to post his/her own products on the 'net because someone fears copyright infringement has occurred, there is a definite problem.

Some of the Techdirt comments say that I should have known this would happen because I posted links to TPB and Demonoid, which are "bastions of piracy". Well, my using them as a way for people to find my book shows that they are also able to be used for legitimate purposes. Just because other people post copyrighted material on there doesn't mean they are wholly "evil". They are simply tools, much like a knife. It can be used for good or bad purposes, but in and of itself, it is only a device to be used.

7 comments:

Jasper said...

It's funny if you think about it: Google condems you for linking to sites like the piratebay, but if you do a google search using " filetype:torrent", you can find pretty much any torrent you want. :)

Anonymous said...

Try using a magnet link instead of linking the torrent. That should make it "safer" against google's copyright policies.

For more information check https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnet_URI_scheme

Note that inn the pirate bay all downloads have a magnet link, you can take the one from your torrent.

Anonymous said...

Ha the tyranny from google [like all monopolies]: I recall a webmaster getting is adsense account suspended because he wrote pedobear in an article.
This kind of blind censorship/control [suspend first, discuss later] will be shown to be more and more flawed as more and more people will get random unjustified and moronic bans from google.
It shows only a great disrespect form google towards its users.

Anonymous said...

I must voice my affection for your generosity in support of all those that require help with that matter.
Your very own dedication to passing the solution across came to be certainly advantageous and has
specifically permitted folks just like me to get to their goals.
Your own insightful suggestions implies much to me and somewhat more to
my mates. Thanks a ton; from all of us.
my page > become a youth coach

Franz said...

you got some propaganda at rt.com too

http://rt.com/news/google-ad-torrent-ban-215/

Martín Adrián Frangul said...

"They are simply tools"

This is a good way to say it...
This time you are very wrong, Google.

Think about it and don't shout like a child.

Ayisha said...

This is knowledgeable site.